The purpose of this lesson is to increase participants’ understanding of transgender youth and explain how to provide transgender youth with equitable, respectful support.
OBJECTIVES Participants will:
• Examine experiences of transgender youth in the juvenile justice system
• Learn the challenges transgender youth confront in the juvenile justice system
• Discuss health needs of transgender youth and the appropriate means of addressing these needs
• Learn to use appropriate terminology in written and verbal communication
• Identify professionally competent and legally sound strategies to ensure a safe, accepting environment for transgender youth in custody