The purpose of this lesson is for participants to identify potential barriers to effective communication with lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) youth and identify strategies to overcoming those barriers.
• Become familiar with concepts of adolescent development and the impact that varying stages of development have on communicating with youth in a delinquency case
• Learn how to incorporate developmentally appropriate language into their interactions with youth
• Review environmental and other non-developmental factors that may impact communication with youth
• Review ways to establish a trusting relationship with youth
• Examine considerations and best practices for information-sharing among juvenile justice professionals regarding a youth’s sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression (SOGIE), and how such sharing may negatively impact communication with individual youth